3/25/10

The Masters...Need I Say Anything Else?

The first week of April is drawing near and for many of  us Georgians, that means one thing...Masters Week!  Oh, I know this year the media is trying to turn Augusta National into a three-ringed circus with Tiger Woods' return to golf.  But he didn't pick Augusta just because it's the greatest tournament in the world.  He also knew that the elite membership that runs the Masters would protect him from the melee and the fans would be respectful toward him.













Oops, the picture's a bit crooked, but it's Augusta...


My first visit to the Masters was when I was in college and a boyfriend was offered two tickets through a family connection.  At the time, I wasn't aware of how big of a deal this was, but Steve soon filled me in.  I found a cute outfit and when I stepped onto the course, I saw that it was unlike any other.  I had been to other golf tournaments and nice courses, but this was "cathedral-like".  My day was made when Jack - yes, Jack Nicklaus handed me one of his golf tees after teeing off on one of the holes.  I kept that memento for years.

A few years later, I had a boyfriend from Augusta and I really found out what the Masters was about.  That town slept, ate and breathed the tournament.  Players were hosted in the homes of prominent citzens - I believe this is still the case.   A future roommate of mine's family always hosted  Jack,  while another was Arnie's home away-from-home each year.  For many years, young unmarried men in Augusta belonged to "The Bachelor's Club" (social organization) in Augusta and their social highlight of the year was a huge band party during the tournament.  That party was incredible. There were hundreds of college age kids there from schools all across the Southeast.  We'd all make plans to "Meet up on 16"(the green at hole 16).  That's where the younger crown hung out.    I had the incredible great fortune of attending the tournament 7 or 8 times over the years with various friends and appreciated it each and every time. 























Quiet, please

As happens in life, times change; it's inevitable.  The Bachelor's Club faded away, probably replaced by something else.  And many local friends and people who had tickets to the tournament  found out that they could rent out their lovely homes during Master's Week to top corporate sponsors and do very well on the rentals.  They'd take off for the beach and watch the tournament on TV.  When we moved back from California, I put my name on the lottery for practice round tickets.  Over about ten years I have only gotten them once.   That tells you how special and difficult it is to get tickets. We've been offered day tickets to the tournament a couple of times through friends and have been thrilled to attend.  I have very good friends who are connected at the highest levels at Augusta National but I would never ask for tickets.  You just don't do that.  I'll take my chances and see what happens.
Tiger (right)

If you ever have the opportunity to be invited* to the Masters, do not pass it up, even if you are not a golf fanatic.  I'm not one and don't really play but can appreciate excellence and the Master's is near perfection.  There's something for everyone.  They say it is the hardest ticket in sports.  But once you are there, attendance will bring the highest pleasure.  The crowds are the most polite anywhere.  Let me repeat.  Anywhere.  The sandwiches are marvelously simple, delicious and so moderately-priced as to cause a double-take.  The ladies dress up and look so lovely, its a mini fashion show.  And the grounds alone are worth the trip...Amen Corner, Eisenhower's Tree, Butler Cabin, the carpet-like greens, the famous azaleas - it plays out like a dream.  Getting exercise walking this course should always be so pleasurable.  If you never get the chance to go, remember, The Masters is so much more than the place Tiger chose to return to golf.  There's a reason he picked Augusta.
































*It is technically illegal to scalp Master's tickets even though they are often offered for sale.  Patrons who offer their tickets for sale will lose the use of their ticket forever.  So if you use anyone else's ticket, guard it with your life.  I heard about someone who lost a friend of a friend's badge and it was lost forever.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what is happening to my blog - sorry about the photos - I'm trying to find out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Janet, Nice blog & beautiful snaps, i will visit ur blog very often, hope u go for this website to increase visitor.Happy Blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete